Taming Large Excel Spreadsheets (Completed)
Date: Thursday, October 28, 2021
Instructor: David H. Ringstrom
||12:00pm Pacific Time
1:00pm Mountain Time
2:00pm Central Time
3:00pm Eastern Time
||2 hours for CPAs
Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA, coined the phrase, “Either you work Excel or it works you!” When it comes to large spreadsheets, users often feel stressed in myriad ways. In this beneficial presentation, David demonstrates a number of ways you can manage large spreadsheets with aplomb. His helpful tips enable you to save time, improve the integrity of large workbooks, avoid repetitive tasks, and much more.
David demonstrates every technique at least twice: first, on a PowerPoint slide with numbered steps, and second, in the subscription-based Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365) version of Excel. David draws your attention to any differences in the older versions of Excel (2019, 2016, 2013, and earlier) during the presentation as well as in his detailed handouts. David also provides an Excel workbook that includes most of the examples he uses during the webcast.
Microsoft 365 is a subscription-based product that provides new feature updates as often as monthly. Conversely, the perpetual licensed versions of Excel have feature sets that don't change. Perpetual licensed versions have year numbers, such as Excel 2019, Excel 2016, and so on.
Who Should Attend
Practitioners seeking to improve the efficiency and integrity of their large Excel spreadsheets.
- Choosing between custom views within a workbook to hide/display multiple worksheets at once
- Comparing the risks and benefits of 64-bit versus 32-bit Microsoft Excel
- Creating custom views that will enable you to display all worksheets in a workbook at once as well as hide/display selected worksheets
- Discovering resources for making unwieldly spreadsheets calculate faster
- Enabling a hidden keyboard shortcut for toggling the Freeze Panes feature on or off
- Exploring how the INDIRECT worksheet function can automate pulling values from a group of individual worksheets
- Extending Excel across two or more monitors to maximize the viewable area of large spreadsheets
- Hiding multiple worksheets within a workbook at once
- Learning how to use a single line of programming code to unhide all worksheets within a workbook
- Making the same edits on multiple worksheets at once by grouping worksheets
- Minimizing the file size of large workbooks by way of the Excel Binary Workbook format
- Navigating large workbooks with ease by way of a hidden menu as well as keyboard shortcuts
- Recognize and apply the Watch Window feature to monitor and navigate key worksheet cells
- Identify how to use Custom Views to manage the hidden or visible status of columns, rows, worksheets, print settings, and more
- Implement the INDIRECT worksheet function to create simpler summary spreadsheets
NASBA Field of Study
Computer Software & Applications (2 hours)
Basic experience with large Excel spreadsheets.